Minimum spec is bricks and a damp proof course! The current one is built out of all sorts of shite (including egg boxes and hardboard) and it needs to be moved about 10 feet further down the garden - got to finish the car first though. :roll:
Last time I updated this thread I'd just put the first coat of primer on the inner wing tops and engine bay. Before going on with the top coat I decided to paint the lower sides of the engine bay with Epoxy Mastic paint to protect the steel against oil and brake fluid spills.
Once that was dry I feathered the top edge in and covered the whole lot in high build primer.....
....and a few layers of satin black.
Just need to start the refit now, this is part way through threading the wiring loom back in. Lots of little brackets to clean and paint though which is taking ages.
After doing the painting, all the wiring and bonnet release cable etc and after much deliberation I decided that I couldn't live with the spare holes in the slam panel, the way the earth strap is bolted on or the bonnet catch spring that just hooks through a hole on the surface that you can see in the last picture. So I did this whilst I still had the opportunity.
The battery earth strap now attaches to a stud plug welded to the original hole.
And the bonnet catch spring now has it's own bracket on the underside of the panel.
So that the slam panel now looks like this. Just the holes for the radiator brackets and bonnet catch showing - much neater.
As the wiring was done and the dynamo refitted I started it up for the first time since October. I didn't run it for long as there's no water in it but it did feel like a milestone had been reached. It did throw up a charging issue though so I'll start a new post in the Electrics section.
Another delay to getting the car moving has been bleeding the clutch, I've spent quite a few hours trying to get it to work, and I've concluded that it must be the master cylinder that's at fault as the piston only returns very slowly once the bleed nipple is closed so I'm going to send it off to be resleeved.
Now with working lights - refurbished headlamp bowls and new bullet connectors.
I've also had to repair the wiring loom in places with new Lucar connectors, loom tape and plastic sleeving. New air filters, coolant hoses, lots of brackets cleaned and painted and a shiny red propeller on the front!
On the still to do list is brake bleeding, refit the radiator and refit and bleed the new clutch master cylinder. It's a NOS Lockheed one that's been sleeved in stainless steel by Past Parts in Bury St Edmonds.
Oh, and it's definitely not charging so some more fault finding to do there.
The resleeve was £69.90 + VAT and carriage. To be honest I got a super deal from them as the master cylinder I sent to them turned out to be beyond repair and they replaced it with one off their shelf free of charge and still did the resleeve on it.
I didn't even take the carbs off, just the air cleaner. The lower part (approximately from the head gasket height down) and the areas around the bonnet hinges are painted with Epoxy Mastic 121 with is resistant to brake fluid, oil and anti freeze and the wing tops are painted with satin black rattle cans. There are small amounts of filler here and there to smooth out old pitted sections and I did a lot of flatting back with 600 grit sand paper between coats.
It'll have to live with multicoloured panels for a while.
The replacement front bumper I acquired seems to be bent as it won't line up properly, but I'll sort that when I strip it for painting.
I still struggled to get the clutch to bleed, even with the new slave and master cylinders. I unbolted the slave cylinder and placed it on top of the battery - two more goes on the pedal and it was sorted.
I'm missing a high pitch horn as mine didn't survive the crash and it looks like I'll need a new radiator cap as it's weeping slightly when it gets up to temperature - PM me if you have either.
Great work as always Paul. Good to see you making progress with HOT.
Have you done a trial fit of any panels yet? I'd hate to see you finish the front end only to find the panels don't align.
I'd imagine the P6 base unit is perhaps more forgiving in that respect when compared to a standard chassis, but it's always worth hanging the panels to check fit before moving on to completion and surface finish.
I didn't trial fit the panels, but I used measurements from the Rover Workshop Manual to check the mounting points and as you can see it's turned out OK. The drivers side wing doesn't fit that well, but it was bent back into the door during the crash and I've just bent it back a bit to fit - it needs replacing really. The bonnet catch lines up nicely too.
Thanks Fraser, it's only practice and patience. The first patches and welding I did a few years ago weren't that good, but did the job. Now each time I do a repair I try to make it better than the last.
Thanks for the offer of the front bumper, but I'll leave it as it is for now until I decide to paint it which will have to wait until autumn now as I've got other stuff I need to do first.