Front Shock Absorbers Lower Mount

#1
On my 1975 2200TC I received and advisory on its last MOT of worn front lower shock absorber bushes. I have bought some new bushes but when I removed the shock I realised that the split pin was in the outer vertical hole. When I removed the bushes and shock I realised the inner, horizontal hole was non-existant! It appears to have a rusted pin in it flush with the shaft that I can't remove. I've tried punching it out and it doesn't move and also heating with a propane torch and then punching but no luck. I imagine that drilling may be the only option unless anyone has any other ideas. Does anyone know what diameter this split pin hole should be?

thanks
Richard
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
#2
Nice sharp drill bit and perseverance. I had to drill out both sides on my car as the split pins were ancient and wouldn’t budge.
Try and get a good centre punch before you start-easier said than done on a split surface of course... I may have even resorted to a small carbide burr or endmill to break the top surface on one side, can’t remember.
I threaded my mounts for nylocs so probably could have got away with leaving them flush but didn’t want the chance of them moving slightly and locking up the nut
Jim
 

roverp480

Active Member
#3
If you drill a small hole right through the centre of the split pin , 3 mm, it will most likely relieve the tension allowing the rest to then driven out with a punch. Given the part number of the Pin, its most likely an imperial size , not metric.
 
Last edited:

cobraboy

Well-Known Member
#9
When setting up I was removing dampers on a regular basis. I did away with the split pins and used large R clips, they fitted the holes snugly and were so tough I could use them to lever the bush to one side to get the clip in.
Passed MOT tests no problem.
I have since threaded the bottom pin and use a nyloc nut.
 
#10
I managed to drill out both sides OK, I used a spotting drill to start a centre and then drilled out in stages until all the rust had gone. I fitted the rubber bushes without much of a problem, I turned a pin to fit in the 3/16" outer hole and used a couple of screwdrivers to compress the bushes.
Then went for a drive and the suspension was much better.
 
Top