My mean green hornet

corazon

Well-Known Member
I’ve got 245 tyres for the front and 275 for the rear, and they’re both on zero offset. I think you had all 4 the same and on 265 tyres iirc? Mine being further out with the offset and slightly narrower may have been the accidental sweet spot :D
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Bulkhead is all sealed up now. Went with 3mm plate to uprated the bellcrank mounting areas, there was some deformation on my base unit here so no chances being taken. Should add to overall stiffness too, (cue Micheal Scott)
Holes were jigged up and redrilled. I can now use slightly thinner concentric stand-off bosses, shimming at final setup if needed. Of course my suspension arms are adjustable too..

6B0EDFB5-150C-4DC7-AFC5-737FD50B33C8.jpeg BAB7179D-7A12-4681-8079-72933CEF0B6C.jpeg 1E9B4CFA-E8A0-454A-B836-CA4EE3D58F17.jpeg C5F066EF-B85C-416E-BDCF-6B58092AFFEF.jpeg 870C8EA3-DC5B-463A-BB42-5988CA21B5E8.jpeg

Something interesting happening with the floors next ;)

Jim
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
So here’s the plan for the floors. Double skinning with a gap to create a strong box structure.
The factory floor is remaining intact with a couple of tweaks in the form of flatter panels where feet go.
This is to gain enough clearance to fit the secondary sheeting which forms a flat bottom to the car.
The gains being strength, rigidity and aero- in the form of less turbulence under the car.
In between the skins will be dynamat sound deadening.

57C8C68C-D2C2-44C5-83D8-390B79B7DFEC.jpeg 5F1D1E88-BE9B-40BE-8628-BFC1C7C3A621.jpeg

Jim
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Thanks Damian, I’m starting to shift from that headspace of just working on a shell to the prospect of painting it and bolting components on, feels alien lol, but good :cool:
 
Last edited:

corazon

Well-Known Member
Both sides mostly ready to weld now. Sheets cut long so I can roll the fronts to follow the factory floor up sweep

A rethink of the bootfloor has happened too. I was rather attached to my bead rolled one but have gone with a sheet of 2mm now instead which encompasses the diff mounting crossmember too, adding more strength and tying in those areas nicely. I’m planning on adding some kind of diffuser here too.
Drilled out for the BMW poly mounts and mocked up my basic Jag diff carrier.

B7012BFF-BD2A-41FB-9365-4C208DAF1141.jpeg 8AEDB8AA-3C49-4EE2-9485-482839DA2E88.jpeg 7ADFBD46-1E3C-444D-8C60-469AF5897884.jpeg BFE0E899-970B-4DE4-A9EA-EF1BCB5197A2.jpeg
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Well I’m going to lose a fair bit on the doors and roof, the added floor weight is of course low down and only 1.2mm sheet so the trade off is minor compared to the rigidity gained I think.
The 2mm flat boot floor is similar weight to the factory boot, I should actually work that out.
Unsprung weight will be better on the front with the alloy calipers and tubular suspension arms, and I’m considering making an aluminium driveshaft and half shafts..
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Something unimaginable happened today, I sprayed some epoxy on the shell :eek:

3CB7CF9E-0B17-4E29-8B03-D048B4DE9782.jpeg 753F9E80-2445-4A21-830C-E8BE07DB02C6.jpeg

I gave the underside another light blasting to remove any surface corrosion and then straight on with the epoxy leaving no chance of anything creeping in.
This is all in preparation for tomorrow’s venture: Dynamat the floorpans and weld the new flat sheet bottom panels on. There’s a bracing tube in each side located at the deepest points too.

791F7133-4F59-41F6-B928-59A63D40DAAC.jpeg 87AE2190-BF4B-4D30-B8EC-E0A5A4355414.jpeg

Jim
 
Top