The Classic Rover Forum, for all classic Rover enthusiasts  

Red Rover's engine rebuild

The place to post details of your current projects.
Forum rules
Please respect other forum users, no insults, bad language etc.. No for sale adverts. Please do not post negative supplier / product reviews, positive reviews are welcome. No posts relating to the running / organisation of any car Club.

Red Rover's engine rebuild

Postby redrover on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:32 am

Well, I managed it!
After collecting parts since last May, I finally finished rebuilding my 2000 TC's engine on April 1st 2012.
I've tweaked the spec, so it's not standard, but will be a lot better suited to modern fuel and traffic conditions.
Enjoy the juicy pics!

This was the engine bay at its lowest ebb. I left the block in place for the entire rebuild and found that there was more than enough room to work on it from all sides. I didn't have to jack the car once. I took the ventilation box out for an overhaul, and it now melts your feet - the motor is virtually silent and much more powerful! I also adjusted the steering box and replenished the oil.

I deglazed bores, overhauled the aux drive housing, starter, alternator, fitted a recon water pump, a brand new distributor with bespoke advance curve, changed the chains, and fitted new sideplates. Before that, I'd scraped all the undershield off the engine bay, primed it in red oxide and given it two coats of high impact high gloss black. Lovely!! Exhaust was painted in bomb-proof heat paint. Here it is last week in a mostly-assembled state.

Huge public thanks go to Kev Watkiss (hermione149) for supplying the new pistons. They are 9:1 CR units from an SC, which will be far more receptive to modern, lower octane fuel. New Cords rings went on at the same time with plenty of oil!
The bottom-end bearings were also replaced.

"Take care to keep all components scrupulously clean when reassembling the engine" - Rover 2000 workshop manual
I think I took this statement to certifiably compulsive levels....!! :oops:

Here's the head, which was given a thorough working over by Clive Annable. It has new exhaust valves, unleaded seats, coil inserts in the plug threads, has been skimmed, shimmed and had a bucket tappet replaced.

Here is the head back in place with the valve timing set up and the manifolds back in place. New seals, washers and gaskets have been fitted throughout the engine. Only rear oil seal and gallery stud couldn't be changed, as they're inside the bell-housing and I'm waiting till I do the clutch for that.

After the running-in period, I'm going to paint the tops of the inner wings in the same gloss black and put new stickers on.
The final little project is to sort out air filter setup - I'm going to make up a little plenum chamber for that. The carbs are the HIF6s that I put on last year.

Doesn't look bad, does it? All I need to do now is drive it!

Michael
Last edited by redrover on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Allen
'72 2000 TC. Rebuilt and upgraded engine. Motorway gobbler!

Secretary
The ROVER P6 Club
www.p6club.com
Find us on... Image
redrover

Re: Red Rover's engine rebuild

Postby rockdemon on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:37 am

You've been waiting very patiently haven't you!

Looks like a first class job!
Sleipnir (aka PAE !) now has an engine - check! weldathon complete - check! 240000 miles + at least 15 years without the speedo connected!

Chewbacca - Don't upset the wookie! (currently undergoing surgery :) )

hybrid theory!
75 cdt tourer
rockdemon

Postby testrider on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:41 am

Good work Michael. I'm looking forward to hearing how the lower compression ratio affects the power/torque and your overall driving impressions.
testrider

Postby quattro on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:45 am

Looks very nice, now get out there and drive it, unless you live round here cos' it's snowing :)

It's a lovely feeling when you suddenly realise that you have finished, isn't it?

Richard
First car - bought in 1977 1968 Rover 2000TC JPR 196F
Second P6 - white 3500S - ?
Third P6 Monza red 3500S 'Thunderdog' - ERU 313L
Fourth P6 Lunar Grey 3500 - current car - 'Sparky'
quattro

Postby happy days on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Well done, braver than I will ever be, you must be well pleased so now enjoy.
Rover P6 club no.......2580

1974 3500s Arctic White, Mango Interior,Huntsman,Webasto sunroof, Electronic ignition, luvly jubbly.
1970 2000 TC Tobacco leaf, first excursion into Tax Freeness
1971 2000 SC Corsica, 2nd excursion into Tax Freeness
happy days

Postby Dave3066 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Looks very good Michael :D

How did you get on with the side plates? I hear it's a bit tricky replacing them with the engine fitted?

Dave
Image Memb No: 8137 Image Memb No: 2462

Borders Vintage Automobile Club

1966 2000 SC. White with Ebony Trim. Wracking up the miles :-)
1972 3500S Mexico Brown- it really is a great colour :-D (Full-on restoration underway)
1965 P5 3 litre auto coupe Blue with red leather trim - long long long long long term resto
ImageImage
Dave3066

Postby John on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:33 pm

That looks a job to be proud of Micheal, an engine bay like that deserves a glass bonnet.

John.
P6club#2575
3500 Almond, Ebony interior, full yellow Weathershield roof. Pas. Registered 01/01/1972 (gone, but not forgotten)

Almond, if it's good enough for Mosquito pilots and Big Chris, it's good enough for me.
John

Postby redrover on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Dave3066 wrote:How did you get on with the side plates? I hear it's a bit tricky replacing them with the engine fitted?

I was very straightforward TBH, but then everything had been removed - it was literally just the block left in place.
If the aux drive housing was still in place I'd say it was nigh on impossible. The exhaust side might be okay on an SC with the down pipe removed, but I wouldn't want to tackle it without taking the head off. Even if you do get them off, there's the still the issue of getting all the crud out properly and scraping into all the corners. I need a blunt screw driver to remove the baked on crud around the bottom of the cylinders. I then flushed it, let it dry, and lightly sanded the cylinders to remove any loose rust before flushing and wiping again.
It's probably very possible, but then as you can see, I got a bit religiously particular about everything!! :roll:
Thanks for all the kind comments guys. I'm absolutely made up with it! It fired first turn of the key as well!! What more could you ask for?!
I'm now planning a few 100-mile-round-trip days out to get it run in. Denbighshire this weekend!
Michael
Michael Allen

Secretary
The ROVER P6 Club
www.p6club.com
Find us on... Image
redrover

Postby rockdemon on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Nice - snake pass and Moel Famau? Childhood outings for me! Nice memories with my grandparents and all my cousins
Sleipnir (aka PAE !) now has an engine - check! weldathon complete - check! 240000 miles + at least 15 years without the speedo connected!

hybrid theory!
75 cdt tourer
rockdemon

Postby rockdemon on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:47 pm

no it's not snake pass... damn forgot the name :)

hybrid theory!
75 cdt tourer
rockdemon

Postby testrider on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Snake Pass is in the Peaks on the way to Glossop and is shut today!
testrider

Postby Dave3066 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:12 pm

redrover wrote:
Dave3066 wrote:How did you get on with the side plates? I hear it's a bit tricky replacing them with the engine fitted?

I was very straightforward TBH, but then everything had been removed - it was literally just the block left in place.
If the aux drive housing was still in place I'd say it was nigh on impossible. The exhaust side might be okay on an SC with the down pipe removed, but I wouldn't want to tackle it without taking the head off.

That's good to hear Michael.

I've got a head gasket to replace on my 4 pot SC once my V8 is back on the road so I'll be doing the side plates whilst I'm in there. I don't mind having to strip everything else off to give it a good clean and refurb. I think she'll deserve a good bit of tlc after seeing me through winter.

Enjoy the driving :D

Dave
Image Memb No: 8137 Image Memb No: 2462

Borders Vintage Automobile Club

1966 2000 SC. White with Ebony Trim. Wracking up the miles :-)
1972 3500S Mexico Brown- it really is a great colour :-D (Full-on restoration underway)
1965 P5 3 litre auto coupe Blue with red leather trim - long long long long long term resto
ImageImage
Dave3066

Postby redrover on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:27 pm

rockdemon wrote:Moel Famau? Childhood outings for me! Nice memories with my grandparents and all my cousins

A494, and a stunning drive! Might see you down there?? Are you thinking of Horseshoe pass? That's Llangollen.

Dave3066 wrote:I don't mind having to strip everything else off to give it a good clean and refurb. I think she'll deserve a good bit of tlc after seeing me through winter.

It's pretty easy to get the aux housing off (once the engine mount is removed), and as long as you don't slacken the dizzy pinch bolt, the ign timing won't be altered either - the drive shaft has a woodruff key so it'll only go on as it came off.

Michael
Michael Allen

Secretary
The ROVER P6 Club
www.p6club.com
Find us on... Image
redrover

Postby rockdemon on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:51 pm

Bit far fir a day out now.... Our family's originally from bebington and rock ferry hence days out when we went up to stay as kids!

hybrid theory!
75 cdt tourer
rockdemon

Postby redrover on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:53 pm

So you're a Mersey lad at heart then Rich? It's nice round there. My girlfriend wants us to live in Port Sunlight, but I keep telling her I can't afford it!!
Michael Allen

Secretary
The ROVER P6 Club
www.p6club.com
Find us on... Image
redrover

Next

Return to Members Projects