My mean green hornet

corazon

Well-Known Member
I’ve been a little quiet on this in January as I’ve secured a new premises, and had been working on one of the owner’s projects for a week or so followed by moving and setting up.
Today before the weather turned again we took the opportunity to get the Rover moved.

1A860349-4618-46FB-A804-856DBB309332.jpeg 81AF19D6-8253-4E37-918A-ED6142F316AA.jpeg AA5D79B9-34C2-438F-94CF-C47E4522415E.jpeg 2DB325CE-07CF-4053-9E04-3D8F97A60A1C.jpeg 76390ADE-FA98-49AA-A543-6E8CB552F04A.jpeg
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
I have a rather nasty case of shed-envy......
Yes well you and me both, I can’t quite believe it still.
We’ve nearly finished setting the place up, bar painting the floor.

It’s a treat being able to see the car from further away and different angles. I mocked up one of the rear wheels with the wider wings and new arches earlier and it’s definitely coming together how I want it to.

4D4EFCBF-2C2C-4970-B45A-02B524AFD4BB.jpeg
 

cobraboy

Well-Known Member
That's the one thing I didn't do in my garage, and I've always regretted it. At least I got the walls done though.
With the modern floor paints you can paint a 'seasoned' floor, it does not have to be spotless, provided you de grease as best you can and there is no deep soft oil the paint adheres well.
I did a recent re paint in my home workshop as the Cobra was away being painted, I did not move everything out, instead I pulled straight lines down the periphery tight to the obstacles and it looked really nice and fresh ready for the car's return and build up.
 

harveyp6

Well-Known Member
There are areas of the floor that probably won't take paint now. The top surface does powder away a bit, so that would all need stabilising. I might do small areas at some time. Trouble is I can't see much of the floor area now anyway. It needed doing at the start. The powdering is a pain, but I doubt that it will wear away, I laid it a minimum of 8" deep.
 

cobraboy

Well-Known Member
After a good hoovering a couple of coats of floor stabiliser, then paint will sort it. I had the same in my garage, it rained when I poured the slab and never did cure right.
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Seemed to take nicely, two of us did the majority of the space in a couple of hours this morning. Such a difference.
One half of the floor had been done very nicely, almost polished, and the other rough but not awful.

134C3B9D-B77C-4EED-99CE-3950F6315F0C.jpeg
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Don’t get too excited, no progress on the shell. But the rotator got upgraded to make life easier in the workshop- everything must be on wheels is the new mantra.
It’s surprisingly easy to move around singlehanded now.
Having just finished a bespoke Range Rover Classic rotator/shell separator jig we thought it about time the P6 got some attention too!

495E532A-FF54-4B11-8924-41A45B4DFDDF.jpeg 503D526D-294A-4AC3-ADDB-6EB5E8625113.jpeg 81C6C1D2-F855-4D02-9F10-72773662D5CB.jpeg
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Wow a long time has passed I know. Setting up the new place and wall to wall work has meant absolutely no spare time for it, until now.

Final welded the suspension mount upgrades and re-did much of the factory welds in the area, sprayed in aerosol epoxy to protect until the the proper 2 part epoxy is sprayed.
I can’t recommend Spectral aerosol Epoxy highly enough though, I don’t like to use any other aerosol primer these days.


FEFB918A-A13E-4C30-B0B4-C0203DF85748.jpeg 292B6B35-6056-4B3B-A72A-FE4425594FE7.jpeg 27F7384D-0A1F-41F8-8B2E-CBCE573538E0.jpeg 17FF5F6D-06CB-4732-8F04-F99B9A7E55AE.jpeg 73002D0E-D899-40F7-BE9F-994AE37B0162.jpeg B18BE26E-CDDD-497B-AB9F-ADE7EE5A9E5C.jpeg

The plates are cut for the other side so will get done to match asap.
Tomorrow however I have more exciting plans for. I won’t say too much, but the words internal;brace;bulkhead are all clues :eek:

Hope everyone is well
Jim
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
As promised, certainly not a mod for the faint hearted!
5EC83A9E-AE90-4B34-9164-24677F876815.jpeg 2F861F8D-FEA9-4EE5-AF6B-507BCBE51A8F.jpeg 2A948E5B-C781-479D-83D0-412CC3BA89F2.jpeg 7355F30C-23AC-4F69-A5D4-25A5742C843D.jpeg 37CFFF57-4A36-471F-981A-6229963E78F4.jpeg DCDCBB62-622A-44C5-AA12-942E6446E219.jpeg

There was a bit of surface rust in those boxed in structures that help to form the bulkhead, so was useful to have access to clean up and epoxy too.

Jim
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
The bulkhead bracing is mostly closed back in now. The areas remaining supporting the bellcrank mountings I’m going to make from 3mm plate, I think this area deserves some reinforcement.
The shell is starting to feel a lot more rigid, just spinning it on the rotator is noticeable.
If you look closely you might notice the new tubular towing location under the front crossmember too.

I’ve got a couple more interesting changes to implement before the shell is completed, let’s see what the coming days bring!

AE5531D5-0550-4704-A465-0ACF3B98C463.jpeg 18D9CFE0-6E86-4EAA-AA8D-80ADA5771648.jpeg
 

cobraboy

Well-Known Member
Whilst you are here, in the bottom photo, the area bottom centre may cause you a problem. I had to clearance that area in order to get the room for the outside of the tyre to clear on full RH lock.
It may pay you to assemble some suspension and a wheel and tyre at tide height to check it out before you pack up the welder.
I like the scaffolding in the bulkhead. It will be interesting to see if you have solved the waywardness I had.
 

corazon

Well-Known Member
Ah that’s an interesting one, I shall do indeed thanks.
I did have the new wheels on there for a while before stripdown but I think they were always just off the ground.
Ah the Esab is always out in use haha, it’s just finally the Rover’s turn.
I’m gonna push to get this shell finished ASAP and into epoxy so the mechanical build can start in the Autumn!
Jim
 
Top