Small window trim


New Member
Hi to everyone.
I have just joined! Having said that, I have had my rover 1974 3500S for almost 20 years but have only just started to restore it. Having built a workshop, I drove it in under her own power and have started by removing the doors. (The engine hadn't run for 15 years but didn't need too much fettling to get it running again.) This is going to be a full restore back to bare shell and rebuild.
Have stripped the doors and have been listing what will need replacing as I go. Inevitably the rubber components are pretty shot and I have read a lot of posts about door and window seals already on this forum. However, what I can't find any mention of are the two pieces of small rubber trims that are at the base of each end of the stainless steel frame. (Pictures attached). Are they available from anywhere or is there a 'workaround' to replace them by some other means.
This is my second restoration - the first was a 1979 Mini Clubman Estate (which I still own.) It's remarkable how much engineering is similar to both!
Clearly this forum is a goldmine for information so thank you in advance to anyone who can help.


  • Door trim 1.JPG
    Door trim 1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • door trim 2.JPG
    door trim 2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
I used a PU sealant to fill mine, worked a treat buy may be a little difficult to take it apart again.
Thanks for the very prompt reply - I had searched the web pretty thoroughly so feared as much. What if anything has anyone come up with as a substitute? I supposed masking tape and mastic might do the trick?
Black window mastic is your friend. 'Orribly sticky stuff, doesn't go completely hard, instead stays flexible. Mask off the stainless and the painted door and wait a day or two before you remove the masking tape, leaving nice straight edges. No photo, 'cos it isn't as pretty as the factory fitted rubber bits, but it has kept the rainwater at bay nicely for eight years, and wasn't difficult to remove when I had to remove a window frame and weld it back up where it had cracked inside the door carcass.
Thanks mrtask - I hope I don't ever have to take the frame out but if I do then that's good to know.
Having taken everything apart doorwise it's interesting to see how much labour must have been used in assembly compared to a modern vehicle. However, on the plus side, old fashioned nuts and bolts are so much easier to remove (or shear off) compared to modern plastic snap fasteners.
Thanks to you all for the advice and guidance on this; my first of many queries!
Hi Phil
Yes - in fact the rear one is almost complete. Mine is a 1974 3500S that had one owner before I bought it in 2000. I drove it until the tax/MOT ran out and then dry stored it under a carport since then. My aim is to strip everything back to a bare shell and then have the lot dipped. Then I will be able to see what's left. I'll be getting the welding/repaint done professionally but hopefully the rest of the restoration I will be able to manage.
I wanted to try molding these but I needed a perfect new set to work from. It's awkward as well as all 8 are different.
yes that picture is one of the better ones...Biggest problem with them is the spring clip inside rusts which then ruins the rubber...They can also be a right pain to get off without tearing them. I think I've tried pretty well everywhere with no luck (yet). Might have a crack at 3d printing them around a stainless clip but like peter says there are eight different ones...
Mike, if you do make stainless clips with some sort of similar looking 3D printed material instead of rubber, and it works, I'd take a set, assuming they were not astronomically expensive!